How Much Walking Should I Do a Day?
Walking is a great way to lose or maintain your weight, with it being a form of exercise anyone will be able to do! But if you are losing weight or maintaining, you may be wondering: How much walking should I do a day? It may be confusing to know exactly how many steps you should be taking! In this article, we show you all about why you should start walking, as well as how much walking is recommended for the normal person per day!
Benefits of Walking
Why start walking anyway? Why not just move on to a “better” type of exercise? Walking has a ton of benefits you will be able to reap, such as:
- Like mentioned, walking is an exercise almost anyone can pick up on with ease. All you need to do is to put on your shoes and get out of your house!
- You will be able to walk anytime and anywhere. May it be in the gym, around the city, or even around your neighborhood, you have the ability to choose where you want to exercise and when.
- You get to tone your muscles, most specifically your legs. When walking on high inclines or speeds, you get to tone your legs and grow a bit of muscle as well, with you being able to look leaner and slimmer.
- It requires little to no equipment. All you need is comfortable attire and you’re all set to go.
- You get to lower the risks of any cardiovascular disease. Your blood pressure will be regulated, you get more fresh air, and you’ll be able to become a healthier person not just in looks, but internally as well.
- It gives you a sense of relaxation, where you get to think and meditate. This goes whether you walk with music or listen to the cool breeze.
- Walking is very flexible, with you being able to tone any muscle and tweak workouts. You can walk on various inclines and speeds, use weights on your feet or carry dumbbells. You even have various walking exercises to try out to increase the intensity!
How Much Walking Should I Do a Day?
Want to start walking? Then you may have already wondered about getting a pedometer and accurately tracking your steps. While it isn’t absolutely necessary, it’s definitely a plus, as you get to know how many calories you are burning and to keep yourself on track with the numbers. It’s nice to reach a certain number of steps to make you feel accomplished and to increase your activity level! But you may be wondering: How much walking should I do a day?
There is no exact number or answer here. It will all depend on your lifestyle, as well as the amount of time you have for exercise and walking. But as of research and studies, you’ll see that the average number of steps recommended would be 10,000. This is to reach an activity level of active. But like mentioned, this will all depend on the person. You may want to measure your walking by steps or amount of time, but as long as you have the proper activity tracker to show the amount of calories you burned, then you will be able to lose weight. Provided that you are on a good diet program, of course. For those who want to increase their activity level, then it’s best to get a pedometer and get the amount of steps you usually put into a day, and start to increase it by around 2,000 steps until you reach a goal of 10,000 steps a day. It may seem difficult at first, but once you grow into the habit of walking, you will realize that you have time to squeeze in for a few steps and start to get encouraged to walk everywhere!
Walking is one of the best ways to begin exercising. But you’ll also want to know how to accurately measure your steps and assure that you are getting the proper amount of walking for an active lifestyle. Fortunately, you can do this with a good pedometer. You’ll be able to purchase a quality pedometer from reputable online shops, or in your local sports store. Hopefully, these benefits of walking and advice on the recommended number of steps to take per day encouraged you to begin walking for the betterment of your health. So what are you waiting for? Begin walking today and let your fitness journey begin the right way!
Did you enjoy the article or have any thoughts on how much walking one should do in a day? Then comment down below! We would love to hear what you have to think about the amount of walking one should do per day.
Incoming search terms: