Tips on How to Walk With Your Dog
Walking is one of the best ways to burn fat and calories without the high intensity of workouts. Anyone can do it at any time, and it can be done practically everywhere! From your home or going to work, it’s a great mode of transportation, as well as a healthy one. You would often find numerous workouts that promote walking as a fat blaster, as well as it improving on your overall health. Just 15 minutes a day will already create a huge lifestyle change. And what makes it better? You can walk with anyone, even your dog!
Walking With Pets?
Many people love to walk with their pets, saying that it helps relieve the stress and boredom while walking. It’s one of the best ways to spend time with their furry friends, as well as get their daily exercise. Whether you’re walking around your neighborhood or even a trail up the mountaintop, it’s definitely a fun and fulfilling way to be with your companion. You’ll often see people walking their dogs, or even running with them!
How to Walk a Dog Properly
The only problem is, how do you start walking with your dog? It may be a bit hard to start, especially if your dog isn’t trained, or you haven’t been exercising. Luckily, there are ways on how to start walking with your dog properly and maintain a healthy relationship with them.
Here’s a guide on how to walk your dog:
- The first thing you should do is to invest on a good collar and leash. Make sure that the leash is supportive and will be able to withstand your dog’s weight, as well as the collar being not too tight or too loose. Choose an appropriate size for both collar and leash, depending on your dog’s size and weight. You will be able to find good dog products in your local pet shop or online.
- Once you have the leash and collar, secure it to your dog tightly, but not too tight to avoid him choking. Not too loose to avoid him running off, either!
- Start walking by choosing a side where you want to walk your dog in. Once you’ve chosen an appropriate side, don’t change it during the next walk, as consistency when walking with your dog is key.
- Make sure that the leash is close to your body, but won’t tangle. That way, you can control your dog if ever he runs off!
- It’s pretty fun to walk around, but it can get dreary after a few minutes. Feel free to talk to your dog and let him recognize your voice. Praise when he does something right, and talk sternly if ever he goes astray, but don’t shout.
- It’s best to give treats when you’re walking your dog, so as to encourage him to not only follow your orders when walking, but to also learn to love the activity as well!
- There are also more equipment you can purchase for your dog when walking other than a leash and collar. You can purchase a clicker, shoes, or even a GPS collar! Ask your dog’s veterinarian about the right equipment for your dog.
- When walking, make sure that the weather condition is safe. After all, it won’t only affect you, but your dog as well! Avoid going out if it’s too hot, as it may hurt your dog’s paws, as well as if it’s too cold or rainy, to avoid the both of you getting sick.
- Carry food and water for both you and your dog, as well as plastic bags in case he poops. Clean after you go! No one likes people who let their dogs poop and just leave it there. It ends up not only making the place messy, but it can also meet someone else’s paw and shoe.
- Make sure that both you and your dog are properly hydrated throughout the walk, especially when it’s a hot day.
- Get the proper rest. Your dog gets tired too, so once you feel like you or your dog gets tired, find shade and a comfortable place to sit on before you start walking again. Know your limits. If you are too tired to walk, or your dog looks peckish, it may be time to go home.
When walking with your dog, you’ll not only ensure quality time, but a productive and fat-blasting one as well. What are you waiting for? Get your dog’s leash and start your journey towards a healthier you!